Stories Of Care: Chapter One was our first high-quality, multi-platform, participatory arts project, with founder Sophie Willan as the Lead Artist.
Based on Sophie’s personal experiences, the project focussed on redressing the underrepresentation of Care-experienced young people and the misrepresentation of welfare recipients and mental health and social service users.
Over two and a half years, Stories Of Care: Chapter One delivered…
- A participatory-led writing programme, ring-fenced for Care Experienced Young People, resulting in a published Children’s anthology
- Over 1500 free copies of the children’s anthology, written exclusively by Care Leavers, to children in Care
- On Record; a deeply personal stand-up-theatre show, written and performed by Sophie that chronicled her experience in the Care System. The show went to Edinburgh Fringe Festival where it received a sell-out run, huge critical acclaim and an adaptation for a Radio Four series.
- An extensive national tour of On Record with a robust and unique outreach package; ring-fencing writing workshops for Care Leavers and subsidising tickets for Care Leavers, welfare recipients and mental health and social service users.
- Sophie’s follow up show, Branded; exploring identity-politics, class, sex-work and feminism for working class women. The show went to Edinburgh Festival receiving phenomenal critical acclaim, a sell out-run, a Herald Angel Award and an Edinburgh Comedy Award nomination for Best Show.
- A large national tour of Branded, with another extensive outreach strand, designated for care leavers, sex workers, welfare recipients and mental health and social service users.